Need to bring some sparkle back to your favourite jewelry? you've come to the right blog. And in case you missed it last week we shared...
Before knowing how to take care of your favourite jewelry you need to identify exactly what it's made of. Below are 3 terms you find all over the Emma&Chloe online shop.
Gold plated: This is a method used to treat metals with a very thin layer of pure gold. Its called electroplating and it strengthens the piece to create an attractive finish. The benefit of wearing gold plated jewelry is its less susceptible to bending and dents. The downside is that overtime the gold can chip.
Gold gilded: Gilding is a method of apply an extremely thin layer of pure gold to jewelry. The gold is very thin and is often applied as gold leaf for decorative purpose. It creates textured and smooth finishes to jewelry.
Gold filled: Gold filled is different to gold plated and gold gilded. These pieces are far more valuable and use a much higher percentage of pure gold in the production process. These pieces are higher quality and can in fact be better quality than solid gold items because of their strength. Remember solid gold is extremely soft and vulnerable to damage. The benefit of gold filled jewelry is the strength and quality of the piece making it less susceptible to easy tarnishing.
- We recommend removing jewellery when you bathe or shower and particularly when on the beach, in the sea and in chlorinated water.
- Avoid spraying perfume or applying creams directly onto your jewellery.
- Keep away from extreme temperatures, humidity and sunlight, and avoid wearing your jewellery when using bleach.
- You should protect your jewelry even when you aren't wearing it. Always place it in a small pouch or soft fabric lined box to stop scratches and avoiding tangling.
- Try and keep pieces apart to avoiding tangling and rubbing.
- Store it away from heat and moisture.
- With the right care and storage, your jewelry shouldn't need any cleaning or anything more than a quick rub to create shine.
- If your jewelry has seen better days and is REALLY in need of a deep clean, try the following method with ingredients in your home.
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp dish detergent
- 1 cup hot water
- aluminum foil
Line a small bowl with aluminum foil and top with salt, baking soda and dish detergent. Pour in very hot water and watch it react. Drop in your pieces and let the concoction do its magic for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, dry and buff your jewelry with a soft cloth.
Voila! Remember, the right care can make your jewelry last a life time.